Yield: 30-36 cookies
The gluten free version of this cookie is one of our most popular items in the store. It has just enough sweetness to satisfy your cravings, with a hit of lime to make things interesting and a delicate texture that makes them irritable. You can tweak this recipe based on what you have on hand and the texture of cookie you like. As long as you don’t go too far off track away from the measurements, you should get a crispy, tender, lightly sweetened cookie. The more sugar and starch you put in, the tenderer, melt-in-your mouth, yet fragile cookie you will get. The more gluten (from the wheat flour) you put in, the firmer and crisper the cookie you’ll get. You can even pump up the salt a bit without ill effects.
- 340 g. (3 sticks, 1 1/2 cups) vegan margarine
- 120 g. (scant 2/3 cup) granulated sugar, evaporated cane juice, or beet sugar
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 lime for zest
- 325 g. (2 1/3 cups) all purpose flour
- 83 g. (1/2 cup) potato starch, cornstarch, or more flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- Coarse sugar for coating (optional)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or a large bowl you can use with a hand mixer: combine the margarine, sugar, vanilla, and lime zest. Mix on medium speed for 3-5 minutes until pale, creamy yellow, and fluffy in consistency.
- On low speed or by hand, add the flour, starch, salt, and baking powder. Mix until combined.
- Use a 1-ounce ice cream scoop or your hands to form 30-36 balls from the dough. If you want a coating, roll the balls in coarse sugar and place on two parchment-lined baking sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Cover the cookies in another sheet or parchment, a piece of plastic wrap, or similar film. Place another cookie sheet on top of it and press down evenly all over the sheet to flatten the cookies underneath. Alternatively, you can use a flat-bottomed drinking glass to individually flatten each cookie to about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Place the trays of cookies in the fridge for 30 minutes or more until they are cold, resisting the touch of your finger.
- Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 350.
- Remove the second cookie sheet and top piece of parchment from each pan of cookies and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until just beginning to brown around the edges.
- Cool at least five minutes before removing from the tray, allowing them to set.